This is a treat yourself situation. It’s a cool-down, sweeten-up kind of a moment that is perfect for these summer days. With June in full swing, I thought it was high time we dipped our
toes tastebuds into a frozen treat that would be delicious now and all year long. With that, I give you a riff on one of my all-time store-bought favorites: a no-churn half baked ice cream!
Have you had Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked Ice Cream? Aside from their oatmeal cookie chunk ice cream that I recreated a few years ago, their half baked flavor is by by far a winner. With swirls of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, cookie dough pieces, and bits of brownies, it’s a homerun for anyone who is loves their cookies and brownies served a la mode. This homemade version is no-churn in order to keep prep time down to a minimum., and honestly, it’s dangerously easy and delicious. Let me tell you how to make it.
To make this no-churn half baked ice cream, we start with the brownie pieces. First, start by preparing the small batch brownies in a loaf pan. Next, use butter, brown sugar, and loads of mini chocolate chips to make an eggless cookie dough. Once the brownies have cooled and crumbled, prepare the ice creams. Whip a half of a can of sweetened condensed milk with vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream until it turns thick and fluffy. Then, combine the remaining condensed milk with cocoa powder and more whipping cream, mixing until cloud-like. Finally, dollop the two mixtures together in your prepared pan, and place it in the freezer to firm up.
This no-churn half baked ice cream is a fun summer baking project, and it’s a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen, too! If you’ve been looking for a recipe to enjoy this week, I hope you’ll give it a try. Let me know what you think and happy (half) baking!
If you like this no-churn half baked ice cream you should try:
No-Churn Coffee Cookie Dough Ice Cream
No-Churn Mocha Brownie Fudge Ice Cream
Cookie Dough Truffles
Brown Sugar Cookie Dough and Cone Ice Cream
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Brownie Batter Cake
No-Churn Half Baked Ice Cream
This no-churn half baked ice cream features swirls of vanilla and chocolate ice cream, cookie dough bits, and brownie pieces!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 6 Hours
- Yield: 1 Quart
- Category: Dessert
For the brownies:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
For the cookie dough:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
For the ice cream:
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
To prepare the brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Farhenheit. Line an 8”x4” loaf pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together to butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract, stirring until smooth. Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, stirring just until almost combined, and then fold in the mini chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and baking about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out just barely clean. Set aside to cool completely.
To prepare the cookie dough:
- In the meantime, prepare the cookie dough. In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, sugar, and salt. Add the vanilla and milk, stirring until combined. Add the flour and chocolate chips, stirring just until the dough comes together into little clumps. Set aside covered in the fridge until ready to assemble ice cream.
To prepare the ice cream:
- Crumble about half of the brownies into small doughy bits. You can use more if you’d like, but I find using about half of the brownies is enough.
- In a large bowl, combine 7 ounces (about half of the can) of sweetened condensed milk with the vanilla extract and 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream. Whip on medium-high using a hand or stand mixer until the mixture thickens to a cloud-like consistency. Fold in the cookie dough nibs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 7 ounces of sweetened condensed milk with the remaining 1 cup of whipping cream and the cocoa powder. Whip on medium-high using a hand or stand mixer until the mixture thickens to a cloud-like consistency. Fold in the brownie pieces. Begin spooning alternating scoops of the vanilla and chocolate ice creams into a 8”x4” loaf pan or another freezer-safe container. Once all of the ice cream has been put into the pan, cover with a piece of foil and allow to freeze until solid, about 6 hours or overnight. Enjoy!
1 thought on “No-Churn Half Baked Ice Cream”
Cannot wait to make‼️