Let’s challenge ourselves. Let’s move beyond what we know we can do and into something we’re not sure of. Let’s leave it all on the field, balls to the wall, and just go for it. I’m talking
Not interested? Well, initially I wasn’t either. But tempted by a recipe contest on Food52, I decided to try my hand at making a dairy free frozen dessert.
What started as an idea became an obsession, and I will tell you that I am now a believer in dairy-free ice cream.
To be honest, this was scary for me. I don’t typically like to mess with a good thing and let’s be honest- ice cream from cow’s milk is good. Reeaaal good. But I threw it out there and what I got back after a few misfires was worth the effort. Zesty lime, macerated strawberries, and an extra thick graham cracker crust makes this coconut milk based ice cream pie a home run for any summer gathering.
Trust me on this one. Don’t knock it till you try it.
Vegan Coconut Lime Ice Cream Pie
This vegan coconut lime ice cream pie, made up of zesty lime, macerated strawberries, and an extra thick graham cracker crust is a winning option for lighter, frozen desserts.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour
For the crust
- 2 sleeves of graham crackers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the ice cream filling
- 28 ounces whole fat coconut milk, refrigerated and divided
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the strawberry topping
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
To prepare the crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place graham crackers in a food processor and process into crumbs. Pulse in salt and coconut oil until the crumbs are moistened and clumping together.
- Pat crumbs into a 9″ metal pie pan being sure to cover the sides of the pan in a thick layer of crumbs. Reserve any extra crumbs to use as pie topping.
- Bake pie crust in the oven for 8-9 minutes or until crumbs are firm in the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool to room temperature.
To prepare ice cream
- Open the refrigerated cans of coconut milk and separate the watery portion of the coconut milk from the solid portion.
- Combine the solid portion of coconut milk with the lime zest, lime juice, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add about 1/2 of the coconut water and stir until smooth and combined. Mixture will be about as thick as melted ice cream.
- Pour this mixture in to an ice cream machine and churn according to the machine’s directions. It took my machine about 15 minutes for the coconut ice cream to be done. It will look like soft serve frozen yogurt when done.
- Spoon ice cream into prepared pie crust and freeze until solid.
- Once pie is frozen and ready to eat, prepare the strawberry topping. Mix strawberries with sugar and lime juice and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Serve on top of pie slices along with extra crust crumbs.
- Be sure to use full-fat coconut milk and NOT low-fat or cream of coconut. Trust me: I tried and they will not work.
- Substitute another berry or different fruit topping for the strawberries. If it’s delicious- email me! I want to hear all about it.