Cookies don’t always get the credit they deserve. When it comes time for celebrations, big days like birthdays and weddings, retirements parties and grand openings, cakes are the go-to dessert that people can’t get enough of. But even though cake gets most of the glory, cookies are the comfort favorite that, for many people, smell and feel and taste like home. Today, Brett and I are celebrating 9 years (!!!) of marriage, and to honor our special day, I’m sharing a special over-the-top recipe: chewy peanut butter Oreo cookies.
We’ve talked about Brett and I’s wedding before. Remember? I’m the crazy person who decided to make their own wedding cake. But as I came across our wedding photos the other day, I was reminded that it wasn’t the cake that was the highlight of the dessert show; it was the cookies. My caterer had the idea of serving warm (and I mean FRESH from the oven) chocolate chip cookies with little jars of chocolate milk. It was the single most talked about bite of food on our very delicious day, and I love memories of Brett and I eating leftover ones in the car on the way to our hotel. Cookies, even without all the piped details, stacker tiers, and fancy fillings, are the thing people love to remember.
These chewy peanut butter Oreo cookies are likely to be a new favorite in our house. Each cookie is soft and fluffy with just the right amount of chew. The peanut butter comes through well but without being overpowering, and the little chunks of chocolate sandwich cookie add a discrete flavor that would be hard to pick up on if you couldn’t see the dark flecks throughout.
Making the cookies:
To make these cookies, we start with the fats. Peanut butter and unsalted butter come together with brown sugar and regular granulated sugar, just until smooth. The egg and vanilla are stirred in next, and the dry ingredients follow. For the Oreos, I opted to roughly chop them by hand so that most of the pieces were 1/8-1/4″ in size. A few smaller and larger pieces are great for added texture in the cookies. Although the dough feels dry, it’s plenty moist enough to pack into large round balls before baking until set.
If you happen to be celebrating today, I hope you’ll consider making these chewy peanut butter Oreo cookies. They are a crowd pleaser that tons of people are sure to enjoy. Happy Wednesday and Happy Baking!
If you like these chewy peanut butter Oreo cookies you should try:
Chewy Peanut Butter Oreo Cookies
These chewy peanut butter Oreo cookies are loaded with chocolate sandwich cookies and salty peanut butter flavor!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16
- Category: Cookies
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1–1/4 cups roughly chopped chocolate sandwich cookies (about 12 Oreos)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a sheet pan with a piece of parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter and butter until combined and smooth, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and sugar, stirring on medium to cream, about 1 minute. Add the egg and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring on low to combine. Slowly stir in the sandwich cookie pieces just until combined.
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion our 3 tablespoon-sized balls of dough. The dough is crumbly- feel free to pack balls with your hands and gently press down to barely flatten them into puck shapes. Bake the cookie dough in batches spread out 2” apart on the prepared pan for about 10-11 minutes in your preheated oven. The cookies won’t be browned on the top. Allow the cookies to set and cool almost to room temperature before removing from pan. Enjoy!