Do we have time for one more recipe before the new year? How about something comforting and familiar to wind out the period-of-exhaustion-and-calamity-formally-known-as-2020? These chocolate chip cookie bars are nothing fancy, not too tricky to make or sophisticated in flavor profile, but what they lack in bells and whistles they make up for in flavor, chewy texture, and crispy, caramelized edges. Let’s talk about them.
I’ll be honest: I’m not really sure what makes a blondie a blondie. I think these chocolate chip cookie bars are close. I almost chose “blondie” as a name but decided they would need a glossy top and gooey insides to qualify. Instead, I landed on cookie bars, because that’s exactly what they are: cookie flavored, cookie texture, and even a cookie technique involved to make them. All that’s missing is the cookie shape!
So why make make these chocolate chip cookie bars over a regular chocolate chip cookie? One word: EASE. Here, we have no scooping, no rolling of dough, no spacing dough balls out on a sheet pan and praying they don’t roll around, spread out, or burn in the oven. Instead, we have a single dough that is smoothed into a small pan and baked in one batch in the oven until the edges are crisp and the insides are barely done. This recipe makes over 20 bars, closer to 40 if you cut them in manageable portions, and they’re crazy simple to make. So, all in all, that’s why these bars might suit you over a classic cookie.
Even though we’re saying goodbye to 2020, I’m hoping to see more of you in the coming year. I’m currently wrapping up some heavy duty projects that will hopefully allow for more time spent on this site- more chatting, more recipes, more stories, etc. In the meantime, know that it’s been my pleasure to write and bake with you all this year, and I can’t wait to do it more in the future. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
If you like these chocolate chip cookie bars you should try:
Brown Butter Blondies
Pecan Toffee Blondies
Brown Butter Muscovado Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
These chewy chocolate chip cookie bars feature warm brown sugar flavors, a hint of espresso powder, and loads of sweet and salty goodness throughout.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 20
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1–1/2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2–1/2 teaspoons of espresso powder or instant coffee
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2–1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2–1/2 cups semisweet/dark chocolate chunks (depending on your preference)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13” pan (or line it with foil and then grease for easy removal). Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar with the paddle attachment until fluffy, about 2 minutes.. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the espresso powder followed by the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition until each are incorporated. Add the vanilla, flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until the center is set and no longer jiggling. Bake time may differ depending on the type of pan used. Allow to cool and then slice and enjoy!