If you’re anything like me, Mondays can hit you like a freight train. I think we need an excuse to sit quietly, zone out, and have a few moments of rest before we dive into a week of hustle and bustle. To keep your eyes and palate pleased, I’ve rounded up a list of things to read, watch, and savor on this Monday morning. Oh, and there’s cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits too. You’re welcome. 🙂
What to Read
Food52 released their fall list of must-read books. In a shocking turn of events, there’s not a single cookbook on the round-up! Check out the list of favorites on their site here.
What to Watch
Jimmy Fallon is the late-night show host of my dreams. I love his willingness to be silly and totally off-the-wall. His newest video, a musical photobomb with Justin Bieber, made me laugh out loud and is straight up awesome. Watch your heart out here.
What to Cook
Chrissy Tieghan’s new cookbook came out this week, and Bon Appetit shared a few favorites from the release. There’s a recipe for Thai soy-garlic fried ribs (yes, it’s a thing) looks absolutely beyond. Literally salivating over here. Check out the recipe here.
What to Wear
I’m counting down the days till it’s cool enough to break out jeans and fall clothing. This getup from Madewell is pretty much destined to be my autumnal uniform.
What to Master
I love this article from Food & Wine about how to nail a recipe every time. I frequently have people tell me that they can’t cook, and I’m a firm believer that if you can follow directions on a well-written recipe you can do anything.
What to Bake
As promised, here are the cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits. These are fluffy, Southern-style biscuits with loads of tang and chocolatey goodness to make your breakfasts fab. These morning treats were inspired by the beautiful Carrie Morey of Callie’s Charleston Biscuits . I met Carrie at last year’s Saveur Blog Awards, and I so admire how she has championed her town, baking, and Southern culture with her hugely successful brand. The secret to her biscuits is a healthy mixture of cream cheese and butter, a winning combination that offers loads of flavor and fluff.
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Biscuits
These cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits are a nod to Carrie. Simple to make, even easier to consume, these morning bites are a new favorite in my house. When we have a batch in our house, Aimee asks for them for breakfast AND dessert, clearly a girl after my own heart.
To make these cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits, we start by combining the dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt are tossed together before we cut in the cream cheese and ice cold butter. Use the backs of two forks or a pastry cutter and integrate the fat until pea-sized clumps exist throughout. Add the chocolate chips and then stir in the buttermilk until a shaggy dough comes together.
A Few Pointers:
For sky-high biscuits, make sure your ingredients are really cold and that the butter is incorporated throughout. I also recommend using a well-floured biscuit cutter (I use these!) to keep the cuts on the perimeter of your biscuit clean. Push straight down with the cutter and then put your tray of goodies into a piping hot oven. The heat mixed with the cold ingredients will cause everything to melt and expand all at once!
To finish off these cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits, I like to top them with a simple cream cheese glaze. You can skip this step if you’d prefer, but I like to be a little over-the-top here. Drizzle the glaze on hot biscuits and then serve immediately. Just be sure you have your coffee ready.
I hope this recipe will get your week off to a delicious start. Have a great week and happy baking, y’all!
If you like these cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits you should try:Print
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Biscuits
These cream cheese chocolate chip biscuits are fluffy, tangy morning treats full of chocolate morsels and topped with a cream cheese glaze. Read more about making layered biscuits here!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Breakfast
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups (280 gm) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (55 gm) unsalted butter, cold, plus 2 tablespoons melted
- ½ cup (85 gm) mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup (180 gm) cold buttermilk
For the topping:
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (115 gm) powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
To make the biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use the back of a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the cream cheese and butter until large, pea-sized clumps exist throughout. Stir in the chocolate chips and then add the buttermilk, stirring to combine. Dump the shaggy dough out onto a floured surface and used floured hands to gently pat the dough out into a 1” rectangle. Fold the dough in thirds like a letter and then pat it out again into 1” thickness. Use a 2” biscuit cutter to cut out rounds of dough. Gently combine the scraps and then pat out that mixture to 1” thick again. Cut out additional rounds. Place the dough rounds 2″ apart onto a baking sheet and brush the tops with the melted butter. Place the pan in the oven, reduce the heat to 400, and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until the tops are puffed and golden. You may need to rotate the pan towards the end of baking if one size is darkening faster than the other. Allow the biscuits to cool briefly while you prepare the topping.
- To prepare the topping:
- Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar in large bowl just until smooth. Add a tablespoon or more or milk to get the icing a smooth, spreadable consistency. Smooth a dollop on each biscuit and serve immediately!