In the three minutes since I sat down to write to you all, I’ve peeled someone’s banana, dissolved an argument, tended to one whining baby, and tied four shoes. Apparently toddlers don’t know the meaning of social distancing? Bless. Listen, I understand that I am the last person on earth that should be complaining. After all, I’m a work-from-home mom and get to be quarantined in the country with the 4 people I love most in this world. But the other day, my kids asked when the germs would be gone so they could see their friends, and I totally commiserate. We need some new faces. A changes of scenery. If this period of time has taught me anything, it is to be wholeheartedly grateful for the million and one things I take for granted on a normal basis, and that includes personal space. Sign me up for some of that, Dr. Fauci.
But enough about me- let’s talk about you. Are you still working? Are you primarily home? Did you pick up a new hobby, start a new book, or finish that show you’ve been binging? Have you given up on washing your hair? We’ve gotten into a decent routine of school, crafts, outdoor playtime, and work, and while some of this change has been hard, there’s also been some really fun parts. Case in point: these java chip muffins. I’ll be honest- I’ve baked like 6 batches in the past few weeks. My kids devour them almost immediately, and since food pyramids don’t count in a quarantine, I keep letting them. These java chip muffins are like a sassy grown up chocolate chip muffin, and man, they are good.
So to make these java chip muffins, we literally need one bowl. That’s it! The batter comes together with melted butter, sugar, an egg, and flour. Vanilla and espresso powder add flavor, and chocolate chips are folded in for extra oomph. The kicker here is the streusel. Mannnn, it is GOOD. Brown sugar, butter, and espresso meet a smidge of flour and salt to make a crumbly topping that adds extra flavor and texture to these toothy muffins. If you’re the person that’s like, “Man, I could really use an extra jolt of coffee this morning,” these muffins are going to be the bomb for you.
I hope you guys are doing well in light of all that is happening in the world. This will pass! We will arrive to a new normal, and my bet is it’s going to be good. Hugs to you from afar, and please, for the love, make these java chip muffins. You’re going to love them.Print
Java Chip Muffins
These java chip muffins are stuffed with chocolate chips, scented with espresso, and topped with a coffee streusel.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Breakfast
For the muffins:
- ½ cup (113 gm) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup milk
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (50 gm) sugar
- ¾ cup (150 gm) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1–3/4 cup (230 gm) all-purpose flour
- 2–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
For the crumble:
- ½ cup (100 gm) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
For the glaze (totally optional):
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons coffee
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a 12-compartment muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl, stir together the butter, milk, vanilla, and egg. Add the sugars and stir to combine. Add the espresso, flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring just to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips. Use a large cookie scoop to fill the muffin tin. Each liner will be about 2/3 of the way full.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the brown sugar, flour, and espresso powder for the crumble. Use the backs of two forks to cut in the softened butter until it has pea-sized clumps throughout. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the muffin batter. Bake in the preheated oven for about 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In the meantime, whisk together the powdered sugar and coffee until combined. Add more coffee to thin out or more sugar to thicken to your desired consistency. Drizzle on top of the cooled muffins and enjoy!