Full disclosure: I’m not into monsters, scary stuff, or anything that sounds even remotely spooky, but I am 110% into these monster cookie bars: a soft and chewy peanut butter oatmeal bar studded with chocolate chips and candy-coated morsels. If you’ve been looking for a simple and satisfying treat to make as a hump day treat, look no further than today’s recipe!
With the kids back in school, we’re attempting to settle into our new normal: wake up, breakfast, school, homework, dinner, baths, repeat. Weekends, at least so far, have offered a reprieve from the scheduled nature of Monday-Friday, but I’m still always looking for ways to make the mundane feel special. As a result, treats like these monster cookie bars have stolen my heart. With simple ingredients, quick prep, and super yummy results, these cookies-turned-bars are a great go-to for grown-ups and kids alike.
To make these monster cookie bars, we start with a bowl-full of butter and peanut butter. We cream the two together on medium speed until smooth and then add in the sugars. Next come the eggs and vanilla extract followed by the dry ingredients: flour, oats, and loads of chocolate. I chose to use semi-sweet chocolate chips and candy-coated chocolates, but you could certainly opt for other mix-ins; peanut butter chips, nuts, toffee, or even crushed chocolate sandwich cookies would certainly be at home here.
If you’re looking for ways to make these back-to-school days a little more special, look no further than these monster cookie bars. Happy Wednesday to you all and Happy Baking!
If you like these monster cookie bars you should check out:Print
Monster Cookie Bars
These monster cookie bars are soft and chewy, loaded with chocolate chips, candy morsels, and peanut butter flavor!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 16
- Category: Dessert
- ½ cup (113 gm) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (140 gm) creamy peanut butter (not natural)
- ½ cup (100 gm) light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (50 gm) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140 gm) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (90 gm) rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup M&Ms or candy-coated chocolates
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8” pan with aluminum foil, allowing the ends to extend beyond the sides of the pan. Lightly grease with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter until combined. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and stir until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and vanilla extracts, stirring until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl again and add in the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Stir on low until barely combined. Add in the chocolate chips and chocolate candies and stir until combined. Use a rubber spatula to smooth the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the edges and center of your bars are golden and no longer jiggly. Allow to cool completely prior to removing from pan and cutting. Enjoy!