Today’s recipe has zero shame. This is the kind of over-the-top cookie that might feel like a little much to some people, but to me, it’s drool-worthy. I’m 100% Team Salty Sweet and these peanut butter caramel pretzel chocolate chip cookies hit the nail on the head of every flavor I want in a dessert. I think you’re going to love them too, so let’s talk about how to make them.
Peanut Butter Caramel Pretzel Cookies
We start by stirring melted butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Add in the sugars and stir until creamed well. Next comes the eggs and vanilla extract followed by the dry ingredients- flour, salt, and leavening. When it’s all well combined, stir in the bits of pretzels, chocolate chunks, and caramel chips until everything is combined. Scoop rounds of dough (I use this cookie scoop!) and top each one with a pretzel twist or a few broken crumbs, allowing them to bake until the edges are set.
A Few Notes:
These peanut butter caramel pretzel chocolate chip cookies are chewy, barely taste of peanut butter, and have a sweet and salty balance that is to die for. The salty pretzels and peanut butter offset the sweet caramel bits and chunks of chocolate that ooze throughout, and they stay delicious for several days after making. A few things to note on the ingredients: First, be sure you’re using the mini salted pretzels. It doesn’t matter if they’re the sticks or the twists, but don’t use the giant pretzel rods, okay? Second, for the caramel chips, we really mean caramel chips. Not giant caramel chews or mini baking bits that you use for melting. Finally, use whatever chocolate here that you prefer. You can sub in chocolate chips as well, but I like the difference in texture and look a chopped bar adds. I use 70% chocolate baking bars here.
Over the next coming weeks you’ll have a multitude of opportunities to bake and share cookies. After all, Christmas gatherings, class parties, and little festive plates set out for Santa and his reindeer really only beg for one thing. These peanut butter caramel pretzel chocolate chip cookies will be the showstoppers of them all. Equal parts beautiful and delicious, these cookies are unique yet entirely a crowd-pleasing option that everyone will jump for. Give them a try during your weekend baking and let me know what you think! Happy Friday, y’all!
If you like these peanut butter caramel pretzel chocolate chip cookies you should check out:
Espresso Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Brookies (Brownie Cookie Bars)
Toffee Espresso Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint
Peanut Butter Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
These peanut butter caramel pretzel chocolate chip cookies are chewy treats loaded with sweet and salty favorites!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 30
- Category: Dessert
- 3/4 cup (170 gm) unsalted butter
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1–1/2 cups (300 gm) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 gm) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2–3/4 cups (385 gm) all-purpose flour
- 1–1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup (170gm) caramel baking chips
- ½ cup crushed pretzels, plus more larger pieces for sticking on top of your cookies, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Melt the butter over medium heat on the stove. Stir regularly and remove the pan from heat immediately once all is melted. Pour into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the peanut butter. Add the brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla extract, stirring to combine. Add the eggs and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the mix immediately and fold to combine. Don’t waste a lot of time as the mixture will be harder to work with as it sits and cools. Fold in the chocolate, caramel chips, and pretzels.
- Scoop 1-1/2 tablespoon-sized scoops (I use a large cookie scoop) of dough on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Roll the dough in your hands to smooth and stick random pretzel chunks on the top of the dough balls if you want visible pieces after baking. Bake in the preheated oven 10-11 minutes or until the edges are set. Allow to cool briefly before eating!
12 thoughts on “Peanut Butter Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies”
This cookie was a big hit with my family! We loved the sweet and salty combination! When I make these again I will definitely follow the note to work quickly – I found that the pretzels and chocolate chips were hard to incorporate because my dough was cool and had hardened a bit. Nonetheless, a simple and delicious cookie! Thanks Kate!
Hooray! I’m thrilled to hear it!
why do i hate using melted butter !! maybe cause it makes the cookie too runny !! it always over spreads in the oven never pumped like the pic,, can u help tell me why should i melt the butter
Pingback: Social Distancing, Day 283247 – Medicine with Mary
Made these today bc I needed a quick “don’t have time to soften the butter” recipe. They did not disappoint! I found. Sea salt caramel chips to. Use and it was a perfect extra punch of salt.
HOORAY! I’m thrilled. I hate waiting for butter to soften. 😉
It’s nearly impossible to find caramel chips. Any suggestions on where or what to use in their place?
More peanut butter chips or white chocolate may taste good!
In the photos the cookies appear to have white chocolate chips but that’s not mentioned in the ingredients list?
Hi Deirdre! The chips you see are the caramel chips called for the in the recipe.
These! I saw “baby” pretzel twists in the store… They would work brilliantly in this recipe. Can’t wait to try… If it wasn’t 10 p.m. I would be making them now.
hooray! I hope you’ll try it with those!