At the risk of overwhelming your email box two days before Christmas, I wanted to share one last recipe with you to get you in the holiday spirit: peppermint brookies. Part cookie, part brownie, these chewy bars are scented with peppermint, studded with Oreo cookies, and seriously full of delicious chocolate flavor. You’re definitely going to want to keep reading.
We’ve talked about brookies before, remember? My original brookie recipe was inspired by memories of a dessert I used to enjoy with my Nana. Those nostalgic recipes have a way of seeping into the deep corners of your heart; they always come to mind at special times of year like this. These peppermint brookies are similar to the original, just with added flair of peppermint extract and a few crushed Oreos. Honestly, if you can’t get away with adding Oreos to your desserts during the holidays, when can you?
Luckily, these peppermint brookies are really simple to make. Two stovetop doughs combine to create a chewy and textured bar that is fabulous. The end product is similar in texture to a brownie but with all the sweet and saltyness of a chocolate chip cookie. If you’re that person who can never decide between a cookie and a brownie, it’s your lucky day. These are just the thing you’ll want to make.
I’m sure we’ll chat again before the new year, but I do want to wish you a really sweet and joyful last few days of 2020. There aren’t enough hours, words, tears, or bottles of wine to be able to fully unpack all the things we learned and experienced these past few months, but I do know we have reason for hope and plenty of good things to look forward to. My prayer for each of you is that you’d be reminded of the goodness in your life, wherever it happens to exist, and that these coming days, weeks, and the new year would offer you the rest, joy, and love that our world so desperately needs. Merry everything to you.
If you like these peppermint brookies you should check out:
Brownie Petit Fours
Peppermint Bark Brownies
Brown Butter Muscovado Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Caramel Ganache Brownies
Pretzel Shortbread Peanut Butter Brownies
These peppermint brookies are brownie cookie bars flavored with peppermint and studded with crumble Oreo cookies!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16
- Category: Dessert
For the brownie:
- ¼ cup (55 gm) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (70 gm) sugar
- 1/3 cup (70 gm) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 Oreo sandwich cookies, crushed into ½” pieces, divided
For the cookie:
- 6 tablespoons (85 gm) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (70 gm) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (130 gm) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (85 gm) semisweet chocolate chips, plus more as desired
To prepare the brownie batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 or 9” square baking pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease the bottom with baking spray.
- Melt the butter, sugar, and brown sugar together over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in the egg and extract. Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and stir with a wooden spoon until almost combined. Fold in half of the oreo bits and stir until the ingredients are well incorporated. Set aside while you prepare the cookie mixture.
To prepare the cookie dough:
- Melt the butter, brown sugar, and sugar over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir with a wooden spoon until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir until the ingredients are well incorporated. Begin spooning in alternating dollops of the brownie and cookie mixture to create a swirled effect. Be sure to try to evenly disperse the two batters so that each piece has a bit of both brownie and cookie. Press the remaining Oreo chunks into the top of the batter. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted just barely comes out clean. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes before pulling the aluminum foil and bars out. Once cooled, slice into squares and sprinkle with additional salt if desired.
1 thought on “Peppermint Brookies”
Looks delicious..Can u make them in a 9 ×13 baking dish? I am a cardio diet need to know calories, sodium in them