I am tired- we’re talking peak-level exhaustion. It’s been an awesome month filled with tons of great things to look forward to and celebrate, but this human is worn out. I think I’m realizing that quarantine changed my pace , and it’s been a struggle to keep up with the one I ran at before. Is anyone here with me on this? The next few weeks will be loaded with stuff like weddings, trips, birthdays, and more, so for now, don’t mind me completely passing out with comforting goodies like these sausage cheddar scones.
I made these sausage cheddar scones as a nod to the maple bacon scones I shared with you all a few years ago. They’ve always been a favorite of mine, but if we’re being honest, I’m totally on Team Sausage; sausage beats bacon every time, if you ask me. These are loaded with cheddar cheese and just enough sweetness to make these simple breakfast scones both sweet and savory, a perfect little treat for mornings that offer you a little extra time.
To make these sausage cheddar scones, we start by mixing together the dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, and salt come together with bits of ice-cold butter before we toss in the cooked Italian sausage and cheese. Once combined, the dry ingredients transform into a dough with some heavy cream and maple syrup. YUM. Pat the dough into a small, flat disk and then pop into the freezer while the oven preheats. Freezing the dough ensures that the scones will bake up tall and fluffy which is obviously of the utmost important.
These sausage cheddar scones finish off with crisp edges and a soft, flavorful inside that ends up being really satisfying at breakfast. My gut instinct says these would make excellent accompaniments to supper too. Maybe trim out smaller scones and serve in lieu of a bread basket or dinner roll! Either way, give these scones a try and let me know what you think! I hope you guys enjoy them and have a terrific Thursday. The good news? The weekend is almost here!
If you like these sausage cheddar scones you should check out:Print
Sausage Cheddar Scones
These sausage cheddar scones are lightly spiced and barely sweetened with maple syrup. The sausage and cheddar add rich savory flavor to these yummy breakfast treats!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 cups (260 gm) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup (113 gm) unsalted butter, cold and chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked and crumbled mild sausage
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream, plus additional for brushing
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper. Use a pastry cutter or the back of two forks to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until pea-sized clumps are throughout. Stir in the sausage and cheese. Combine the maple syrup and the whipping cream in a separate bowl and then stir into the dry ingredients, just until evenly incorporated. If a lot of dry ingredients remain in the bottom of the bowl you can add an additional tablespoon of cream, but be sure to not add too much liquid.
- Pat the dough out in a ¾” thick circle and place the dough round on a parchment lined baking pan in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Once the dough is chilled, cut the dough into 8 wedges but leave the circle of pieces together. Use a pastry brush to brush a thin layer of whipping cream over the scones. Bake in the oven until golden brown around the edges of each scone, about 35 minutes.
Chilling the dough ensures the scones will rise well. You can skip this step but it isn’t recommended for best outcomes.