It’s finally starting to feel like summer. Sure, the weather is warmer and the days are getting longer, but I can feel the energy in our house changing too. With the school year and extracurricular activities coming to a close, my heart is ready to settle into a summer pace. Today, I want to share a yummy recipe that features my favorite bit of warm weather produce: strawberries. This strawberries and cream pie is a unique way to share summer’s best fruit, so let’s dive in.
Remember that blueberry sour cream pie I made a few years ago? I absolutely LOVED that one. Including sour cream in a custardy dessert was such a new concept for me, and I loved the balance of flavors it brought to the pie. Well, it turns out that the sour cream method can extend into other desserts, too, because this strawberries and cream pie is the bomb. Although it didn’t turn out as polished looking as I would have hoped, it was one of those bakes that I couldn’t keep my hands off of it. After photographing the pie for this post, I found myself picking at the cut slices, nibbling at bits of crumb and enjoying bites of berry and cream. It was perfectly imperfect, and I was altogether thrilled.
Making the Pie
This strawberries and cream pie has a sweet and salty graham cracker crust that features finely chopped pecans, both for flavor and texture. If you’re in a rush, you can skip the homemade crust and opt for a store-bought graham cracker crust instead, but don’t hesitate to try making one from scratch if you haven’t before. Homemade crusts like this one have way more texture, and the addition of the pecans makes it really special.
The filling for this pie is beyond simple. Sour cream, milk, eggs, sugar, and flour get blended together until frothy. After being mixed, the filling is poured into the prepared crust before being topped with sliced strawberries. Here, I used fresh berries, but you could also thaw and rinse frozen sliced ones as well! After a bake in the oven, the pie is topped with even more crumble and baked a bit more until set. The final product is a pie with loads of flavor, crunch, and creamy filling to boot.
Whatever your coming summer months look like, I hope you’ll consider making this strawberries and cream pie! It’s just the thing to get you in the mood for the warmer days ahead. Happy Thursday to y’all and happy baking!
If you like this strawberries and cream pie you should try:
Blueberry Sour Cream Pie
Strawberry Icebox Pie
No-Churn Strawberry Pretzel Ice Cream
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Strawberry Slab Pie
Strawberries and Cream Pie
This strawberries and cream pie features and creamy custard filling, a salted graham cracker pecan crust, and fresh summer berries!
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 9 Servings
- Category: Dessert
For the crust:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
For the pie filling:
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped strawberries, stemmed
For the crumb topping:
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1–1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 1–1/2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
To prepare the pie crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your crust: combine the graham cracker crumbs, pecans, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and stir to combine. Press the wet crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom. I like to press a small amount of crumbs up the length of the sides first and then press the remaining into the bottom. Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are turning gold and the bottom is set.
To prepare the pie:
- Place the prepared pie crust on a sheet pan. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combined the sour cream, milk, egg, egg yolk, sugar, flour, vanilla, and salt. Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared crust and scatter the strawberries on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the top of the pie feels kind of set but is still a little jiggly in the center. In the meantime, prepare the crumb by combining the flour, sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and butter with the back of a fork. Toss in the pecans and set aside. Once the top of the pie feels kinda set, remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle on the crumb topping. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the crumb is golden and the pie is completely set. Allow to cool prior to serving!
2 thoughts on “Strawberries and Cream Pie”
Just made this! Should I refrigerate~ if there are leftovers??
I would love to see a side view of what the filling looks like!