Welcome to the newest installment of recipes on this site: Back to Basics. Here, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite renditions of basic beloved recipes that you will go to again and again. Need a go-to chocolate chip cookie? Banana nut muffin? Maybe the best ever crinkle-topped brownies or sandwich bread? Cool, cool, cool, cool. I’ve got you covered. Today, we’re kicking it off with a super fun one: Sugar Cookie Double Doozies.
Now, you may be thinking, “Ok, are sugar cookie double doozies actually basic?” And I am going to respond with an enthusiastic “YES.” Anyone who grew up in the era of shopping malls and food courts (raises hand) knows and loves these. Great American Cookie Company cookies were a staple in my adolescent diet, and nothing delights me more than to know I can make this little fellas right at home. (Don’t worry- cookie cakes are coming to this series later on as well).
Sugar Cookie Double Doozies
These cookies are a favorite of my husband, and for good reason. Here, soft and chewy (even slightly salted?) sugar cookies sandwich a thin layer of sweetened American buttercream. I adapted the cookie recipe from a favorite snickerdoodle recipe in order to achieve that pretty crinkle top and background tangy flavor. They are DELICIOUS. The frosting sweetens the cookies without overwhelming them and they stay soft for a few days.
To make these sugar cookie double doozies, we start with the cookies. First, butter and sugar cream together before egg and vanilla add in. The dry ingredients include cream of tartar and baking soda which allows these cookies to bake like snickerdoodles. Finally, round of dough roll in colored sanding sugar before baking into soft round cookies.
The frosting is equally simple with just a little butter, sugar, salt and milk. I opted to pipe the frosting in between the cookies, but even just a schmear with a knife would do. These are delightfully simple and fun to make!
I hope you get a change to try these sugar cookie double doozies. Keep your eyes peeled in the coming months for more basic recipes. In the meantime, Happy Monday and Happy Baking!
If you like this recipe you should try:
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Painted Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookie Double Doozies
These sugar cookie double doozies are chewy sugar cookies filled with a simple buttercream!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Dessert
For the cookies:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup colored sanding sugar
For the frosting:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1–1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
To prepare the cookies:
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract, stirring on medium for another minute. Add the flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda, stirring on low just until combined. Use a small cookie scoop to portion out 2-teaspoon sized rounds of dough. Roll them quickly to make them round and then roll each dough ball in in the colored sugar. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 30-45 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes or until the edges are barely beginning to set. The cookies will appear slightly underdone. Allow to cool completely prior to filling each with the frosting.
To prepare the frosting:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir on medium until it smooths into a fluffy frosting. Add a teaspoon or two of extra milk as needed to thin out the frosting. Sandwich the cookies with frosting and enjoy!