Almost Vegan Coconut White Chocolate Pancakes
So have I told you our exciting news? Are you privy to the crazy, fun, awesome changes coming to our family? WE’RE HAVING A BABY!
Baby #3 for the Wood family is coming July of this year, and I could not be more excited. We talked about growing our family for some time, and we felt beyond blessed when I took a positive pregnancy test back in November. The past few months have been full of stretchy pants and fast food cravings and all too much nausea, but I’m finally in my second trimester and starting to feel a little closer to myself again. No word yet on whether this baby is a boy or a girl, but I’ll be sure to divulge all of the details as soon as I have them. You know I can’t keep a secret too long.
One of the many strange things about this pregnancy so far is the changes in my preferences for food. In an ironic turn of events, I find my sweet tooth is really not so sweet at all these days. I’d much prefer a crunchy salad or a paper bag full of salty French fries. Give me chicken noodle soup and chips, not cake and cookies, okay? This no desserts this has been great for keeping off too many prego pounds, but as you can imagine, it’s kinda bad for business if the baking and desserts writer doesn’t want to eat dessert! What is a girl to do?!
Luckily, my desire for baked goods in the morning is still fairly normal, so don’t be surprised if you see a whole lot of breakfasty things over here this month. Last week you got the orange swirl bread, next week will be a lemony breakfast pound cake, and this week we’re keeping it healthy-ish with these almost vegan coconut white chocolate pancakes. YUM.
Almost Vegan White Chocolate Pancakes
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. What does “almost vegan” mean? Well, these pancakes COULD be vegan if only I could get my hands on vegan white chocolate. As my small, rural town of Selma, AL has a really poor supply of such commodities, I could not find vegan white chocolate, so these vegan coconut white chocolate pancakes are vegan all except for the chocolate. Comprende?
These cakes are super easy to whip up. Melted coconut oil, coconut milk, and vanilla are combined in a bowl before the dry ingredients are tossed in. We’re not talking anything crazy here, just flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Keep in mind that some processed sugars and flours are not actually vegan, so be sure to check your brand of preference if you’re trying to play it safe. Stir in the dry ingredients and then fold in the finishing touches- sweetened coconut flakes and finely chopped white chocolate. If you have a hard time finding vegan white chocolate you can totally skip this and add extra coconut. I’d also consider regular chocolate too, because, duh.
These almost vegan coconut white chocolate pancakes get baked on a griddle with a little extra coconut oil until they’re just barely tanned and puffed. Serve immediately with your syrup or topping of choice. I whipped up a coconut whipped cream for the batch you see pictured, but this is totally optional. This recipe makes a small batch of pancakes, about 10- 3″ cakes, so if you’re serving a crowd be sure to double it up.
Thank you so much for sharing in our joy. I’ll try not to be too obnoxious with baby news, but you should probably count on a healthy amount of hormonal banter. You’ve been warned. Whip up some of these almost vegan coconut white chocolate pancakes this week and enjoy!
If you like these vegan coconut white chocolate pancakes you should try:
Healthy Coconut Almond Chocolate CookiesPrint
Almost Vegan Coconut White Chocolate Pancakes
These almost vegan coconut white chocolate pancakes are loaded with coconut flavor and sweetened with white chocolate bits. Top with a coconut whipped cream for an extra special breakfast treat!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 10
- Category: Breakfast
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup (240 gm) coconut milk (water or another plant-based milk can be used in a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140 gm) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2–1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup finely chopped white chocolate, more if desired
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes, more if desired
- Preheat a griddle or skillet on the stove to 325 degrees, about medium heat. In a large both, whisk together the coconut oil, milk and vanilla. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and stir just barely to combine. Some clumps are okay and will help keep your pancakes from being dense. Fold in the white chocolate and coconut flakes. Add an additional tablespoon of milk if your batter is too thick or an additional tablespoon of flour if it is too thin. I usually end up adding a tablespoon.
- Melt a teaspoon of oil in your pan and spoon out ¼ cup sized rounds of batter. Use the back of your spoon to spread the circles out as desired. If you find your batter is too thick or thin, adjust with a little flour or milk. Cook for about 3 minutes on that side or until the pancake bottom is turning golden. Carefully flip and cook until the pancake is done! Repeat this process with the remaining batter. Serve with coconut whipped cream, additional white chocolate, or coconut flakes or syrup if desired.
- The white chocolate will melt and caramelize on your skillet leaving little brown circles on the top of your cakes. If this bothers you, you can sprinkle the white chocolate chips on the top of the batter after your spoon the cakes onto the griddle. Please note that the underside of your pancakes will be splotchy if you do this, but the tops will look pretty.
- White chocolate is NOT vegan. That’s why this recipe is “almost!” vegan. Just a friendly reminder. Keep in mind some processed all-purpose flours and sugars are not vegan as well. Check with your specific brand for more info.