I gotta tell you- nothing brings me more joy this time of year than nostalgic recipes that remind me of home. Growing up, there were a few cookies that felt synonymous with the holidays, and we never failed to make them. One example? Peanut butter blossoms. I absolutely LOVED those, and I bet you’ve tried them too. Today, I’m sharing a variation of that beloved cookie with these holiday sugar cookie blossoms. The are fabulously fun, and I can’t wait to tell you how to make them.
The basic gist of a blossom is that it’s a soft and chewy thumbprint cookie topped with a HERSHEY’S KISSES candy. Here, instead of the classic peanut butter cookie, we have a simple sugar cookie coated in sanding sugar and dotted with a sugar cookie candy. It’s all the fun and festivity of the classic blossom but with a sweet change of flavor.
To make these holiday sugar cookie blossoms, we start with the butter and sugar. Cream the two together in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, stirring until smooth. Next comes the dry ingredients. Toss in the flour, salt, and baking soda and stir to combine. Use a small cookie scoop to portion out rounds of dough. Gently roll each on in colored sanding sugar and imprint each with a thumb. After a quick bake in the oven, each cookie is topped with a single HERSHEY’S KISSES Sugar Cookie Candy!
My kids and I prepared these cookies together, and they were a hit. These holiday sugar cookie blossoms are a great way to get kids involved with Christmas baking. They’re simple, colorful, and so delicious, too. If you get a chance to try the recipe this year, let me know what you think! In the meantime, Happy Holidays and Happy Baking!
Holiday Sugar Cookie Blossoms
These holiday sugar cookie blossoms are sugar thumbprint cookies topped with HERSHEY’S KISSES Sugar Cookie Candies.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 32 Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup colored sanding sugar
- 32 HERSHEY’S KISSES Sugar Cookie Candies, unwrapped
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda to the butter mixture and stir on medium-low until the dough starts to come together in clumps. It will be slightly crumbly.
- Use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to portion out 2-teaspoon sized rounds of dough. Roll the dough in your hands briefly to smooth out and toss each cookie dough piece in the sanding sugar. Space the cookies out 2” apart on the prepared pans and bake in the preheated oven for 9 minutes or until the cookies are puffed edges are barely set.
- Remove the cookies from the oven to cool briefly, about 2 minutes. This will prevent the KISSES chocolate from melting. Gently press an unwrapped HERYSHEY’S KISSES candy into the center of each cookie. Feel free to pop the pan into the fridge or freezer briefly to further prevent the candy from melting. Cool completely before enjoying. Cookies are best eaten the day of,but can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days.