Sweet and Salty Crispy Rice Treats
I know we get fancy here sometimes. There’s rich flourless chocolate cakes, latticed pies, budinos, and bruleed ice creams. We make braided babkas, fruit-topped tarts, and stacked mini cakes without blinking an eye, but at the end of the day, most of us go back to a few recipes are the simple, comforting, and taste like home. That looks different for all of us, but today, I’m excited to share one of the recipes I go to time and time again: these sweet and salty crispy rice treats. You won’t even believe how easy (and delicious!) these are.
For most of us who grew up on the processed foods of the 90’s, rice krispie treats are about as nostalgic as it gets. Although my love affair with these marshmallow and butter-laden bars began early, it has really been in more recent years that they have become such a staple in my home. A dear friend of mine started bringing different varieties of these little treats to just about every social function we went to, and since then, they have become so synonymous with her in my mind that they are now on repeat in our kitchen. I even ended up including my favorite rendition (today’s recipe!) in my new book, Her Daily Bread. The best foods are like that- they don’t just taste good going down, they feed your heart too.
How to Make Them
Making these sweet and salty crispy rice treats is a cinch, but easier if you know how to brown butter. I wrote a post on just that a few years ago, and if you haven’t started regularly including brown butter in your baked goods, now is the time. Another special ingredient here is honey graham cereal. I know that sounds a little crazy, but that small addition packs a huge punch of flavor. And the final special ingredient, a heavy hand of salt, makes these treats downright addictive- just one bite simply won’t do.
So give these sweet and salty crispy rice treats a shot! They are incredibly easy, and I can almost promise that anyone who tries them will be begging for the recipe. You can find this recipe (and 51 others!) in my new book, Her Daily Bread which was published at the end of last year. It’s a daily devotional with loads of stories about how the things in our kitchen, homes, relationships, and more feed our lives in meaningful ways. If haven’t already purchased a copy, you can find a few links to the book here! As always, thank you for supporting my book and efforts that make recipes like these sweet and salty crispy rice treats possible. I just love y’all! Happy Tuesday and Happy Baking!
If you like these sweet and salty crispy rice treats you should try:
Crispy Millionaire Bars
Oatmeal Cream Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Monster Cookie Bars
Brownie Shortbread Bars
Sweet and Salty Crispy Rice Treats
These simple crispy rice treats are flavored with browned butter, honey graham cereal, and a pint of salt- truly, the easiest tasty treat!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 16
- Category: Dessert
- ½ cup unsalted butter, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounces) bag mini marshmallows, divided
- 2–1/2 cups Golden Graham cereal, crushed into large bits
- 4–1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Lightly grease a 9×13” pan and set aside. In a large stock pot over low heat stir the butter until melted. Continue stirring regularly. It will begin to sizzle and foam slightly before little golden bits start forming on the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring or whisking until the butter has browned. You’ll know it’s done when there are golden flecks throughout the butter and you notice a sweet, nutty fragrance. Immediately remove from heat and add the salt and vanilla, stirring carefully. Add all but about 1 cup of the marshmallows and stir over low heat until they’re melted completely. Add the remaining marshmallows with the two cereals and stir just until combined. Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and use the butter wrapper or a clean, lightly greased hand to pat the krispies flat in the pan. Allow to cool completely prior to cutting and enjoying!