You gotta have those back pocket recipes- the ones that come together easily, can find a home throughout every season, and never disappoint. This vanilla butter loaf is an easy peasy cake that can serve as a nest for all of your favorite seasonal fruits and easily doubles as dessert and breakfast. It’s as beautiful as it is delicious, so let me tell you all about it.
One of my favorite things about this vanilla butter loaf is that it’s pretty much dessert disguised as a breakfast bread. You know those loaf cakes that are served at coffee shops? This is that kind of thing. It has major pound cake vibes, but its loaf shape and the swirl of spice through the center of the cake totally establishes it as a breakfast food, if you ask me. The whole thing is glazed with a simple powdered sugar icing that envelopes the cake in lemon scented sweetness and protects it from drying out.
Another plus of this vanilla butter loaf is that it can easily be topped with whatever fresh fruits you have on hand. Here, I opted for figs and toasted almonds, but berries, baked apples or pears, Concord grapes, or stone fruit would taste delicious. Choose whatever is in season and most beautiful for best results or feel free to opt out entirely. The cake is delicious on its own.
I’m sharing today’s recipe with my friends at Kerrygold. This vanilla butter loaf has a distinct richness and melt-in-your-mouth flavor that can only be attributed to quality butter. You already know that I count on Kerrygold for all of my most flavorful baked treats, and this loaf is no exception. Be sure to choose a butter you trust for this cake and you won’t be disappointed.
I’ll be popping in next week with not one but TWO recipes for you all to nosh on, so stay tuned. You won’t want to miss them. Many thanks to Kerrygold for sponsoring this post. I hope you all get to baking this week and enjoy this vanilla butter loaf!
If you like this vanilla butter loaf you should try:
Vanilla Butter Loaf
This vanilla butter loaf is similar to a pound cake and features a vanilla glaze and fresh fruit and nuts on top!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Dessert
For the cake:
- ¾ cup (170gm) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 gm) sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1–1/2 cups (200 gm) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (60 gm) buttermilk, at room temperature
For the filling:
- ¼ cup (50 gm) brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
For the topping:
- 1 cup (115 gm) powdered sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1–1/2 cups sliced fruit- I used figs
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease and flour an 8”x4” loaf pan. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light a fluffy, about two minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on low to combine. Add the extract and zest. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add half of the flour, the baking powder, and the salt. Stir on low until almost combined and then add the buttermilk. Scrape the sides of the bowl and stir the remaining flour in on low speed. To not overmix. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare the filling by combining the brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Spread half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the filling on top. Dollop the remaining batter on top of the brown sugar mixture and smooth the top. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cooled, whisk together the topping. Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest until you achieve your desired consistency. Add extra powdered sugar to thicken the glaze and extra lemon juice to thin it out. You can test the consistency on the side of a glass. Pour on top of the cake and garnish with fruit (I prefer figs or strawberries) and almonds. Serve immediately.